Royals

Princess Anne’s husband Sir Timothy Laurence provides update on her condition

The Princess Royal was recently hospitalised.

Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence has given an update on his wife Princess Anne after visiting her in hospital.

When leaving, Timothy told well-wishers and media gathered outside, “She’s doing fine – slow but sure.”

“She is recovering well, thank you. We are both profoundly grateful to the medical team and hospital support staff for their expert care – and to the emergency services who were all so wonderful at the scene. We are both deeply touched by all the kind messages we have received from so many people near and far. It means a great deal,” he added.

Anne was first admitted to hospital on June 24 after an incident on the Gatcombe Park estate.

In a statement, Buckingham Palace said that the 73-year-old Princess Royal had “sustained minor injuries and concussion” and was taken to Southmead Hospital, where she will remain “as a precautionary measure for observation”.

It added that Anne “is expected to make a full and swift recovery” and that her brother, King Charles, is aware of the incident.

princess anne

“The King has been kept closely informed and joins the whole Royal Family in sending his fondest love and well-wishes to The Princess for a speedy recovery.”

While no further details about what caused Anne’s injuries have been confirmed, according to the BBC, they are consistent with potential impact from a horse’s head or legs.

It’s also believed that Anne’s husband Timothy and children, Zara Tindall and Peter Phillips, were at Gatcombe Park when the incident occurred, and that Timothy accompanied her to the hospital.

Sadly due to her injuries, Anne – who was crowned ‘the hardest working royal’ last year – will miss several planned engagements this week.

princess anne

This includes the state visit of Japan’s emperor and empress to the UK.

“On doctors’ advice, Her Royal Highness’s engagements for the week ahead will be postponed. Her Royal Highness sends her apologies to any who may be inconvenienced or disappointed as a result,” a spokesperson for Buckingham Palace said.

“The Japanese state visit will go ahead as planned, though sadly Her Royal Highness will be unable to attend the state banquet tomorrow.”

Related stories